Now then. Let's see if I can say something meaningful before rush hour gets too insane in about 45 minutes and I can't drive to Alexandria to get to Total Wine anymore.
I think the beginning of this, my final and probably craziest semester, warrants a re-posting of some advice I came to my first semester at Hopkins, which I think has been the best two simple rules to always keep repeating to yourself as you write. They are two of the "Ten Habits Of Successful Poets That They Don't Teach You At Harvard Poetry School, Or Chicken Verse For The Soul Is From Mars But You Are What You Read In Just Seven Days Or Your Money Back" (courtesy of Stephen Fry, author of The Ode Less Travelled). Specifically, numbers 7 and 8:
7. ENJOY YOURSELF: poetry might be a need in you, but it should not be a penance. Unless you believe yourself to be cursed by an unwanted vocation the labour involved should be one of love.
8. FORGIVE YOURSELF: everyone writes shit from time to time. Don't get all hysterical about it. Keep your poetic toys in the pram and start again when you feel better. Write some light and stupid verse to take the taste away.
I mean, can't get much wiser than that. In fact, I have now made it the texty-thing at the top of this blog.
On a totally different front, I came across this in one of the books I'm currently reading for class, The Reaper Essays. This book is a collection of poetic criticism from the journal The Reaper which, in the 80s, was a huge proponent of narrative poetry. Now, I'll admit, at times their opinions are very extreme and "bloodyminded," as the introduction stated, but sometimes there's some little gems in there too when you take it all with a grain of salt. This I found particularly interesting, on John Hass' poem Meditation at Lagunitas:
"But the particulars make a poem: they root us, they capture our attention. So, we get: 'the clown-faced woodpecker' and a few lines later the blackberry. But the poet cannon resist summing up what he has already said: ' a word is elegy to what it signifies.' Why isn't this the first line of the poem? Are poems marshes in which the poet flounders around for good lines?"
Ouch. Yes! Scathing, but true. I mean, I liked Meditation at Lagunitas. But I agree with that. It's like Hass stumbles around in, as they said, a marsh of not only words and lines but plot lines, characters, etc, unearthing a few good ones but leaving the not-so-good ones and not refining the poem into something that serves to elevate and focus the good ones. I mean...isn't that what the point of revision is?
I remember a discussion we had awhile back in a class last year about how a lot of what is published in the poetry world- the real world of poetry, you might say, outside academia- would not pass muster in a workshop. I mean, to what extent are the readers really supposed to trust the intent and the genius of the writer? In my opinion, to no extent. If the thing doesn't communicate, you can't just assume it's communicating something that's over your head. That doesn't mean it has to do it in plain language with no creative play, but there should at least be a reasonable possibility of the reader solving it. And I get that once you've "paid your dues" and the world gives you success (and it is always the world giving it to you; you can work hard at getting the world to give it to you, but in this field, you're always courting the publishers and your readership), you have a bit of freedom to be self-indulgent. But in my opinion, just because you have it doesn't mean you necessarily should indulge in it. I hope I never rest on my laurels so much, should I ever gain laurels, that I stop working hard. And that goes for everything in life.
A good general rule to remember is that especially in the beginning, no one's going to automatically give you any credit or glory just for the simple act of doing or trying; all your life, no matter what your circumstances, work as if they're still not.
But what if a poet wants to craft a poem that is deliberately impenetrable? Or a poem that wants an open interpretation? Or a poem with no meaning that simply wants to have fun with the aesthetic or surface elements? Maybe they aren't communicating much, but does that mean we should write them off?
ReplyDeleteI'm by no means writing off open interpretation. I'm all for open interpretation! I'm just saying, the reader should be able to get some kind of interpretation of it at all. My criticism is more directed towards those poems that you read and don't come away from thinking, "Well, it could mean this or this or this, but I'm not sure which..." but rather, you come away from thinking, "I have no idea what any of that meant or why any of those words were were doing anywhere near each other...it certainly wasn't for purpose of creating units of meaning with language!"
ReplyDeleteAs for ones that just want to play with surface elements, I mean...that's what exercises are for. And bear in mind it's all just my personal opinion, but there should be some point the poet's getting at, or using the container/form of the poem to carry. I'm not stressing meaning over form by any means, but I like to think the two go hand in hand, and are, at least a little bit, on some small level at least, inseparable.
*"what any of those words were doing"...not "why"
ReplyDeleteI agree that meaning and form go hand and hand... but maybe sometimes form IS the meaning of a work of art. Which is to say, I can imagine a great poem that isn't about anything except itself, and the pleasure of writing and reading poetry.
ReplyDeletewell, then it would still be ABOUT something...i mean, a poem is made of words. words have to mean something, unless you're writing a gertrude stein poem that is just a collection of words that are used for their sound. which, ok, i get...i don't have to particularly like it though. i don't know if it's poetry at that point. it's exploration, certainly, maybe even art. but it's getting into grey area.
ReplyDeleteAlso, apparently I can follow myself on my own blog. Cool.
ReplyDelete