7. ENJOY YOURSELF: poetry might be a need in you, but it should not be a penance. Unless you believe yourself to be cursed by an unwanted vocation the labour involved should be one of love.
8. FORGIVE YOURSELF: everyone writes shit from time to time. Don't get all hysterical about it. Keep your poetic toys in the pram and start again when you feel better. Write some light and stupid verse to take the taste away.
-Stephen Fry, The Ode Less Travelled

Friday, January 29, 2010

Introductory Post

For a poet, I am not lyrical at all with titles. So here you get a new iteration of my old blog, "Shenan Attempts Poetry," with this one, "Shenan Thinks About Poetry."

The reason for my first blog was to share what I was writing as I was writing it, get some feedback from people outside my classes (that never happened, oh well), etc, and the reason it was taken down was the whole "self-publishing on a blog counts in a lot of people's eyes as being 'previously published,' which precludes a lot of legitimate publications from publishing you, if you ever so attempt that" thing.

Anyway, I still like writing ABOUT poetry, and I think about it a lot, and I had a few posts on my old blog that were devoted to philosophical wonderings about the subject, which I found interesting to write and maybe someone out there found interesting to read. So, with some back-dated re-posting of some of those old ones and a new-posting of some other stuff, here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment